Saturday, January 21, 2017

seasons

there is this lovely potted plant near my window ...I have no idea of it's name but in season, it is covered with trumpet shaped blood red flowers and even out of season, it has an abundance of gorgeously deeply pointed shiny green leaves... it has faithfully delighted me with it's beautiful bounty for many, many years .... lately I have noted that the leaves are yellowing and one by one dropping, no matter how tenderly I cared for it ..... I suspected it was nearing the end of it's lifespan ... this morning I saw that almost all the leaves have now dropped, leaving a bare brown wonderfully twisted stem standing tall and straight and firm ...... at first I was deeply saddened but then while  looking more closely I saw a tiny tender shoot poking it's head through the soil and beginning to wrap itself around the still sturdy stem of the now bare and naked plant .....
and this reminds me of life .... human life.... human spiritual life...
when nearing the end of our allotted number of years external things start to drop away, glitter falls to the ground, any external attractiveness wanes, there is no great bounty to catch the attention of  other eyes but if our roots are deep and healthy there is still a wonder-filled purpose in this season....
we can be a trellis, a support, a guide, a shoulder,  to a tender shoot ....

No comments:

Post a Comment