Monday, January 23, 2017

marriage covenant

while reading Ann Voskamp's newest book, The Broken Way,
I came accross the following:

The marriage customs of first century Jews.  
When a man had decided whom he had chosen to marry, his father would pour a cup of wine and pass it down to his son.  The son would then turn to the young woman he loved and with all the solemnity of an oath before Almighty Yahweh Himself, the young man would hold out the cup of wine to the woman and ask for her hand in marriage.  He would ask with these words. “This cup is a new covenant in my blood which I offer to you.”

The words Jesus spoke during what we refer to as the Last Supper are “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which I offer to you.”  

The Last Supper was a marriage covenant.

This fact really gobsmacked me and has left me rather undone .... I have been tampered with...
what a holy truth to absorb ........

No comments:

Post a Comment